Implementation of Agile Methodology- Zomato
Let’s consider you are a product manager at a company like Zomato. To release any feature, let’s say you have four or five steps like ideation, design, implementation, testing, and deployment. And you have 3–4 features like rate/review restaurant, filters for search, online ordering, etc. in line for next releases. Write a Medium post on how you would go about the development of these features using the Agile methodology, incremental, and iterative way of development. You need not go into the details of each step, but clearly specify the increments and iterations.
Company Profile- Zomato
Zomato is an online restaurant search platform that provides information on home delivery, dining-out, and cafes. Zomato started with a vision to be the Google of food. Over ten years, Zomato has steadily built both a search and discovery platform that fuels stable and growing transaction businesses. Today Zomato has multiple products and services that ensure their customers have a great experience while improving the food industry.
As per owler Zomato has estimated annual revenue of 74 million with more than 3000 employees.
Introduction to Agile Methodology
Product Development process allows you to understand the scale of the product and its impact on the market. It is nothing but the process through which a product goes when it is developed. It usually comprises the following steps
- Conception of Idea
- Market and User Research
- Product Planning
There are several methodologies to build software, most prominently used techniques are the traditional and agile methodologies
Feature Development using Agile Methodology at Zomato:
Now, when we know what Agile Methodology is let’s jump to the Problem Statement and make use of the Incremental and Iterative methodology of the Agile Process for developing some of the features
- Rate/review restaurant
- Filters for search
- Online ordering
Ratings & Reviews empowers customers to share their opinions and experiences, wherever they dine verifying the quality of a restaurant and the expected knowledge of the food and the restaurant as a whole.
Let’s see how to iterate the features to different versions in the steps below:
- Like/Dislike button: This will help us in analyzing if users are interested in giving feedback after visiting the restaurant. Simple like or dislike button can be the like the one given below:
2. Linear Scale: Users will be able to rate the restaurant by giving 1 to 5 stars and providing a review in the text box
Write a Review
3. Overall rating: Users should be able to view the overall/cumulative rating for the restaurant along with the total number of user rated and reviewed the restaurant.
1. Add Photos and share on social media: Users should be able to add photos to reviews. User should be able to post the review and the rating to social media
Add Photos and Share on Social Media
2. Sort Reviews based on Rating: User should be able to sort the reviews by high-low and low to high
3. Sort reviews based on Date: User should be able to sort the reviews based on the recent to the oldest and vice versa.
4. Review Given by Friends: User should be able to see the reviews given by friends at the top followed by the other reviews
- Share it on Social Media: User should be able to post the review and the rating to social media
- Tag Users: User should be able to tag another user (if they want to) while reviewing the restaurant
- Like and Comment: User should be able to like and comment against other user reviews
Zomato has a massive database of restaurants. It would be painful to go through all of the restaurants listed if there were no preferences set. It’s essential to have a filter option to make sure the user finds the right restaurant
Search Feature on Zomato
Basic Filters based on:
a. Veg/ Non-Veg
b. Type of Cuisine
d. Average Cost
- Sort Feature: Filter results based on the availability of promotional offers and the “Open now” feature
- We can then add “Quick Search” Filters that are easily accessible like Home Delivery, Open Now, pocket-friendly, discounts, an option to save the previous filter used.
- Trending/Suggested searches: User should be able to a shown trending or suggested restaurants while searching for a restaurant.
Filters have to be made more comfortable to use in every version for the best optimum experience for the user.
After the process of searching the hotels, the very next step is to Order the items in Zomato. Iterations of the product could be as follows with each feature added in the next iteration in the following order: Considering the restaurant side functionalities is built, we move to the user side functionalities.
Online Ordering on Zomato
We can add the feature to find nearby restaurants, add/remove multiple food items, time food delivery, an option of COD for my food order.
- Online order tracking
- Add COD as another payment options
- Integration of mobile wallets
- Integration of promotional coupons/discounts
- Zomato Credits: Introduce Zomato Credits for customer loyalty where they earn credits on each order or if they refer friends et
- Customer support — Once users are familiar with the process, the number of tickets reduces, then we can introduce a “Request Call” feature which allows the user to click a button and receive a call automatically from Customer Support.
This way, we can implement Agile methodology at Zomato, which would clearly define the business by incorporating user feedback at each level.
Agile supports and enables any startup to be fast-paced, flexible, and dynamic. The agile methodology works perfectly well, was the requirement is continuously changing and dynamic. Today, at Zomato software or feature development demands both iterative and incremental methods. With a combined development approach, our work is sure to be both reflective and productive. In turn, our final product is well-positioned to be efficiently vetted and enhanced the goals that were previously set.
Thank you for reading! Let me know in a comment if there are any other questions or anything else you’d like to hear about, please don’t hesitate.